Advanced and thorough training, excellent choices in anaesthesia medications, and technological advancements in patient monitoring have all contributed to bother safer and a more pleasant experience having sleep dentistry. There are, however, some simple rules that you will need to follow for your own safety.
- Please provide a complete and thorough health history with your dental anaesthesiolgist when you have your consultation, including the names of any medications you take, including puffers, over the counter medications and natural/herbal remedies.
- If there are any changes to your health between the time of your consultation and treatment, please let your anaesthesiologist know immediately.
- If you develop cold or flu-like symptoms within 4 weeks of your appointment, please call your anaesthesiologist so they can ensure that it is still safe to proceed with treatment.
- You must not have any solid food within 8 hours of your anaesthesia appointment. You are permitted to have clear fluids up to 2 hours before your anaesthesia appointment. Examples of clear fluids are water, apple juice, or black tea or coffee. You cannot have anything, including clear fluids in the 2 hour window before your appointment.
- If you take any medications, please speak with your dentist anaesthesiologist about which ones you should take and any that you should avoid on the day of treatment.
- You must rest for the remainder of the day after your appointment. You cannot return to work or school, and should plan on a quiet day of rest.
- You must have a responsible person that can accompany you to your appointment. This person must also be able to take your home, and remain with you for the remainder of the day.
- You must return home from your appointment by car or taxi. Travelling home by public transit after a dental anaesthesia appointment is not permitted, for your own safety.
- After your appointment, you cannot drive a car or operate heavy machinery for 24 hours. Similarly, you cannot sign any important documents during that time.